Entry Regulations for the USA & Canada

Entry Regulations for Canada

For all departures passengers flying to Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

For all departures foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries will need to obtain an online-based electronic travel authorization well in advance of their departure flight. All travelers from visa-exempt countries – including children – have to apply for the “eTA” Electronic Travel Authorization at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/apply.html. We recommend filling out the application up to 72 hours prior to your departure date. If applicationsare submitted later than this, the Canadian authorities cannot guarantee that they will be processed in time.

Please note that incorrect or incomplete information provided during the eTA application process will lead to a denial of carriage. We recommend that you only use the designated official CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) link for your registration.

A valid passport, e-mail address and credit card for paying the fee are required for the application. Please note that the online form for applying for the eTA travel authorization is currently only available in English and French. The Canadian authorities have provided the following instructions.

Fees and Procedure

The Canadian authorities, "Citizenship and Immigration Canada" (CIC), charge a fee of 7.00 Canadian dollars (CAD) for the eTA application. The fee for the electronic travel authorization application must be made by credit card. The eTA system currently accepts the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard or American Express. If you renew your passport during the five-year validity period of an existing eTA travel authorization, you will have to complete a new form and pay the fee again. During the five-year validity period, the approved travel authorization is valid for unlimited entries. After you submit your application, you will receive an e-mail with your eTA status, which you can check online at any time.

Your eTA registration status will be verified during check-in. Please note that we are only authorized to check in passengers with the “eTA OK” status, based solely on the information stored in the eTA system. Unfortunately, we cannot permit guests with a status other than "eTA OK" to travel with us. However, please note that a successful eTA registration does not guarantee permission to enter Canada. As before, the decision whether to grant or deny entry is up to the Canadian Immigration Authorities at the destination airport. Passengers who are assigned an “eTA NOT OK” status when they register are asked to contact the Canadian Embassy or a Canadian Consulate.

Get your eTA fast and easy

Our partner Sherpa supports you when applying for your eTA online and guides you through the entire process – all fast and digital.

Find out more
Sherpa Logo

Residents of the following countries can apply for an eTA travel authorization:

Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Austria, Papua New Guinea Poland, Portugal, Solomon Islands, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, South Korea, Taiwan, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Cyprus.